Releases and Notices
Notice of Intent to Race
Given the current Public Health Office (PRO), Via-Sport and BC Sailing directives regarding the Covid-19 pandemic, the Schooner Cove Yacht Club has postponed the full BMW Lasqueti Island Regatta until June 3-5, 2022. In its place, SCYC will hold a BMW Lasqueti Island Lite Race June 5, 2021 to the extent that the PRO and other governing agencies Covid-19 restrictions allow.
This announcement is to inform the Vancouver Island and Mainland sailing community that SCYC intends to hold a race and to outline how such a race may be organized. This document does not constitute a Notice to Race.
Expected Race Format
1. It is anticipated that the PHO and other agency orders may change and will affect:
i) The number of competitors allowed to register and race;
ii) The number of crew allowed on each vessel
iii) Source of crew allowed on each vessel (eg unrestricted, personal or expanded bubble).
2. The boat skipper will be responsible for ensuring all Covid-19 regulations prescribed are complied with on the vessel.
3. Race boats must have a current PHRF-BC certificate. PHRF-NW certificates will be normalized. Cruising boats will be assigned a rating and will form their own division.
4. There will be no onshore events or Skippers’ Meeting.
5. Moorage will not be provided by SCYC.
6. Transient moorage may or may not be available at the Fairwinds Marina.
7. Visiting boats may also choose to anchor at Ballenas Islands or in Brick Yard Bay before and after the race.
- Long Course – conventional course around Lasqueti Island (41 nm). This will be the race course if the PRO, Via-Sport and BC Sailing regulations allow boats to be fully crewed. Boats must complete the course by midnight June 5.
- Potential Short Course (22nm)
Start: Off entrance to Schooner Cove
Round: Gerald Island
Round: Sangster Island
Round: Mistaken Island
Finish: Off entrance to Schooner Cove
– boats must complete the course by 1800, June 5
The short course will be prescribed if the Covid-19 restriction limit the number of crew allowed on a vessel.
Races will begin at 0900 or 1000. The Cruising Division may have its own start. Official courses and rounding directions will be fully described in the Notice of Race.
- The Notice of Race (NOR) will be issued May 13, which will indicate whether the long or short course will be followed.
- The Covid-19 rules will be described in the NOR.
- Sailing Instructions (SIs) will follow the NOR.
- Registration will open May 13 and end at 0800, June 5. All registrations will be online at www.scyc.ca.
- There will be no registration fee.
Register Your Interest Now and Receive Our Announcements
Register your interest in participating in the 2021 BMW Lasqueti Island Lite Race at email@example.com and receive via email announcements regarding the planning of this event.
Contact the Race Chair John Collins c/o firstname.lastname@example.org.
March 24, 2021
Come On Board
Moorage and Visitor Information
Schooner Cove Yacht Club will provide complimentary moorage for registered boats Friday and Saturday night. For visiting boats, additional moorage may be arranged prior to and after the weekend by contacting the marina office at 250-468-5364. Fairwinds Marina will provide complimentary moorage for boats from the mainland if the skipper wishes to position their boat at Schooner Cove during the week ahead of the regatta. If you have special moorage concerns, please contact SCYC (see below for contact information). Marina Office hours are 7:00 am to 7:00 pm during the summer.
Registered boats will be advised of their assigned slip in advance of the regatta. When approaching Fairwinds Marina, call on 66A to announce your arrival. Volunteer wharfingers will assist you to find your slip and help you tie-up.
Visiting boats are requested to use garbage and recycling receptacles at the base of the ramp and in the parking lot. Showers and toilets are located beside the marina office at the top of the ramp. Overboard discharge is strictly prohibited in the marina, and a pump-out is available at no charge. Due to the number of boats and people at the Club during race weekend, some limitations may apply to normal marina services and amenities, such as water usage. Please note that camping on the docks or on marina property is not allowed. We ask all racers to do their part to help keep the docks and facilities clean, safe and pleasant for all.
There are currently no commercial food and beverage vendors at Fairwinds Marina. Fairwinds Bar and Grill at the Fairwinds Golf Clubhouse offers a wide menu. Check hours of operation at www.fairwinds.ca
or phone 250 468-9915. Registered racers will have meals included as part of their Regatta participation. A grocery store and Cascadia liquor outlet are located at Red Gap Centre, approximately 6 minutes away by car.
Due to construction activities at Fairwinds Landing, the area available for parking is limited. More details will follow, as solutions to this challenge are found.
Questions can be directed to John Collins, Regatta Committee Chair, at email@example.com.
Fairwinds and SCYC welcome you to Schooner Cove and hope you have a great race and a safe and memorable weekend!