SCYC Racing – Racing Event Postponements
I know we are all looking for an opportunity to get back to racing! However, Covid-19 continues to hold its icy grasp on us and we must continue to postpone events in our racing program as follows:
- BAY RACE 1 (May 31) is postponed to a later date, yet to be selected
- We hope we will be able to run this popular race for our racing and cruising sailors during the summer. Bay Race 2 is scheduled for August 30 and if we cannot run Bay Race 1 before that date there will be one Bay Race in 2020, sailed on August 30 (we hope!)
- 2019 AWARDS CEREMONY (already rescheduled to May 31) is postponed again and will now be incorporated into the SCYC Celebration following the Fleet Regatta on September 27
- We hope!
- COACH ON BOARD (June 20-21) is postponed to a later date, yet to be selected
- We, and our expert coaches Drew Mitchell of North Sails and Alex Fox of Trotac, will select a weekend to deliver this great skill building opportunity in the fall of 2020 or in the spring of 2021.
We will publish dates for the Bay Race and Coach On Board using Scyline, our website SCYC.ca and direct mail to Racing Skippers and our Race Committee as soon as possible. We will also provide updates on the Pink and Blue Regatta, our Summer Wednesday Evening Fun Racing Program, the Fleet Regatta and our Fall Colours Racing Series as soon as we have further information.
If skippers would like to participate in a single handed race during the next few weeks please email me directly. If three or more skippers respond by May 20, I will consult them to select a date and will set a pursuit course and start times suitable for single handed sailing. No pre- or post-race gathering will be included.
I take this opportunity to thank our SCYC Racing Program Team Members for their support in leading our very challenging 2020 racing program: Grace and Mike Norman, John Collins and the BMW Lasqueti Island Regatta Committee, Wally Clark, Pam May-Straka, Eric and Bronwen Young, Georgina Martin, Randy Little and Dave Mewdell. Thanks also to Linda Watson and Claudia Hand for their support on website and communications and to the racing experts participating in our skill development program: Drew Mitchell of North Sails, Alex Fox of Trotac and Stuart and Joy Dahlgren of UK Sailmakers.
This is a great time to brush up on your knowledge of sailing techniques and to prep your boat for sailing using the great online resources of our Sailmakers North Sails and UK Sailmakers!
Keep well everyone. With regards.